Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Day 2


 Good morning yesterday was fun.First, we went to Care non-profit organization. We met with a woman named Ms.Joyce.She told us what Care's main focus was.They focus on girls in different countries to get them to go to school. In those countries the girls there have to face everyday obstacles. Things like walking for miles to get cleaning water, helping their mother prepare breakfast, getting her mom ready to go out to the field, and getting herself to school. Its a lot that they have to do. I couldn't even imagine myself doing half of what she does. Sometimes the girls don't go to school because they do so much in the
morning. Care is trying to motivate them to go to school. Care is thinking about reaching out to the community. I learned that in Kenya some girls get married at the age of 13.Also,only 1% of the people that your in high school with make it to college.Then, when your in college they pick what classes you take as well as your major.We met with Dr.Gayle who is the CEO and founder of Care. She told me that she changed her career maybe five or six times like me.That shows I can change my career as many times as i would like.


          After, we went to the MLK Center. It was a beautiful set up. It had the reflection pool in the middle of the center. Also, it had Dr.Martin Luther King Jr. and Coretta Scott King's caskets are in the middle of the pool.I learned that Martin Luther King was stabbed by a allegedly mentally ill woman. I thought that was so fascinating because it was something I didn't know. We met with a woman that worked at the MLK Center. She said they are getting ready for the 50 year anniversary of the March On Washington. In Atlanta, they are having a community festival to celebrate the march a few days before the March on Washington. I am going to the March on Washington. 

            Lastly, we went on the Coca Cola Tour. We took a picture with the 7 foot polar bear. He tried to bite my head off.Also, we tasted 60 different sodas from around the world. Some were good and some were just awful. When we were leaving we got to take a coke with a baggie.I like how we could just take in and it would keep moving. Also, we sat on the couch from American Idol 2005. It was pretty cool to sit on the same sofa as some of the American Idol stars. -The Next Pharmacist (Kaylah)

1 comment:

  1. Hi KB,

    I love what the CARE organization is doing for young girls in other countries to go to school. Simply amazing!

    I am also glad that you were able to visit the MLK Center. There is so much history to learn in the center. Yes, we are gearing up for the 50th anniversary of the March On Washington in DC in August. I am glad you are truly enjoying yourself! Take Care! ~~Love Mommy

    ReplyDelete