Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Youth Trek Appreciation Day


Today, at Fulton County government we had an extremely full day filled with information and excitement. We started off going to a Board of Commissioners meeting. In the meeting were the different people of Fulton County who needed or had a request for the government. It was interesting to see a piece of Atlanta that reminded me a lot of DC. Also, in the meeting Youth Trek was honored with a proclamation declaring August 7 "Youth Trek Appreciation day." HOW AMAZING IS THAT?! We have our own "holiday." I was so honored and grateful that the people of Fulton County reserved that day just for us. Next, we went to the Fulton Government  television broadcasting room. It was like a mini news station. It was so interesting especially for me because broadcast journalism is definitely something I am interested in. Then, we went to the 911 emergency center where we were able to sit next to call takers and  listen in on different 911 calls. We saw how busy the call takers stay and learned that it is a hard job that is not for everyone but the people enjoy it. I've never had to call 911 but I learned so much about what goes on and for me that was very intriguing. We then moved on to a meeting with Ms. Tara and Corporal Byrd. They were two women of color who were very welcoming and inspiring. They shared their career journey with us and also different pieces of advice to each of us specifically. I really enjoyed meeting with them and I was so so thankful that they spent that time with us. We ate lunch, chatted and was then welcomed by Ms. Jessica from the communications department of the Fulton County government. She shared plentiful advice with us all about the different career opportunities in government. She also taught us about behaviors in the professional world and provided us with a handout that we can always refer back to. I learned so much and her advice was something I am definitely going to need as the days go by. 


I had a lot of fun at Fulton county with our amazing tour guides Ms. Ethel and Ms. Claudia. They both were extremely sweet, caring and welcoming. I hope to meet and keep in touch with all of them soon. If you are reading...thank you so much! I honestly could not thank any of the ladies enough for today. - tierra

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Tierra. We _definitely_ appreciate you here at Fulton County! Keep up the grat work. Love your blog! -Jessica

    ReplyDelete